THE KEY FUNCTIONS OF DEPARTMENTS AND SPECIAL DIVISIONS IN UGANDA VIRUS RESEARCH INSTITUTE. - Specialized Units/ Divisions
- Last Updated on Thursday, 16 April 2015 10:33
- THE KEY FUNCTIONS OF DEPARTMENTS AND SPECIAL DIVISIONS IN UGANDA VIRUS RESEARCH INSTITUTE.
- Finance and Administration
- Ecology/Zoology Department
- General Virology Department
- Entomology/Vector Biology Department
- Immunology department
- Arbovirology Emerging & Re-Emerging Department
- Planning & Fundraising Department
- Specialized Units/ Divisions
- All Pages
7. Specialized Units/Divisions
Note: Each sciences Division is headed by a Senior Principal Research Officer (SPRO).
1. Epidemiology Division.
The Epidemiology Unit carries out comprehensive Epidemiological research and response to disease outbreaks. The Unit is mandated to:
- Carry out epidemiological research in HIV/AIDS, STDs, Malaria and Acute Viral Outbreaks
- Provide epidemiological and statistical support to the Institute
2.Immunisable Diseases Unit (IDU) formerly EPI Lab
The Unit is mandated to:
- Carry out surveillance and research on Vaccine Preventable Diseases to support UNEPI;
- Provide lab support for AFP surveillance for the countries in the Great Lakes Region;
- Function as a WHO Measles Regional reference laboratory;
- Vaccine efficacy studies;
3. Clinical Unit for Research (CUR)
The Clinical Unit for Research previously UVRI Clinic conducts applied research on viral infectious diseases. The mandate of the unit includes:
- Providing basic essential clinical care to the research volunteers
- Providing basic clinical services to staff and the immediate family members
- Serving as a health centre, supervised by Entebbe Hospital, in Entebbe Health Sub-District (HSD)
- Providing HIV Routine Counseling & Testing (RCT) to communities and occupational HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)
4. Quality Assurance Division(QA);
This Unit encompasses standard setting, Monitoring, evaluation and operational research whose outputs feed into the planning function. It is mandated to develop and review quality assurance and inspection procedures.
Special Units/ Divisions
i. Internal Audit Division (IA); because of its constitutional mandate and direct linkage with the Auditor general’s office reports directly to the Director.
ii. Information Technology & Corporate Affairs (IT&CA); Public Relations, Corporate Affairsand Information and Documentation. For synergy, much of the work in this unit will be heavily dependent upon robust information systems, thus bringing on board the Information & documentation Centre.
iii. International Relations & Training
The mandate of the International Relations & Training is as a result of the need for the Institute to collaborate and participate in all health research-related matters at national, regional and global levels. The division coordinates the Institute to network with other Governments, Development Partners, Non-Governmental and International philanthropic bodies on scientific and technical matters related to health like funding, disease control etc. It also focus on professional training of scientists. The Training responsibility includes: capacity building for UVRI staff;
- << Prev